Skip to main content

Casa Blanca: A Cinematic Work of Art



An Intro:

I have always loved cinema, but I was never a big fan of the classics. That is, until I saw the old movie Casa Blanca. I actually did not want to watch it at first but my girlfriend persisted and we ended up watching it. She fell asleep halfway through but I watched the entire thing and let me say, that was a fantastic movie! Casa Blanca was released in 1942 and was an instant success! Now, I am not going to sit here and talk about the plot of the movie or bore you with stats about the production or box office profits. Instead, I want to talk about the look of this movie, the feel of it, and why it is often regarded as one of the best movies of all time. 

Though I would like to take a second to identify the cast. The lead role of Rick Blaine is played spectacularly by the great Humphrey Bogart. He plays the role in such a cool and calm way that you start to love the character one way or another. Then there is the lovely Ingrid Bergman playing the role of Ilsa Lund. Finally, Paul Henreid plays the Anti-Nazi War Hero Victor Lazlo who is stunningly charming and charismatic. These three actors are the core of the film, but they are not the only ones in the film. This movie was almost perfectly cast. Every actor and actress played their parts to perfection and when this happens, the movie can feel surreal. This is exactly how Casa Blanca feels when you are watching it for the first time. 



The Look and Feel:

The movie was shot during the 40s though, the picture quality is still extremely good! There are no complaints even though the movie was filmed almost 80 years ago. The picture is always crisp enough and the sound is easy to hear. When the movie starts and you enter Rick's bar and casino, it seems as though a hand has reached out of the screen and pulled you back 80 years. You don't just feel like you are watching the movie but instead like you are sitting and having a drink in the Parlor as you watch the events unfold. I have to admit, when the movie was over and I looked around, I was surprised for a moment that the world wasn't black and white! 

The graphics are only helped by the fact that the location is exquisite. It was shot in Morocco which is an absolutely beautiful country and the City of Marrakesh is full of culture and spirit, thus adding to the effect that the movie has on you as you watch. You not only feel pulled into the movie, following the main character around, but also like once the characters go to bed for the night, you are going to walk back your own house and sleep for the night! I would call this movie more of experience than a normal movie.

The characters in the movie are written to perfection. They feel familiar while still being interesting. It is as though we have known about them our whole lives but we are finally learning the whole story about them. Next, you have the fact that they plot is written extremely well. It is written in a way where the next event is almost predictable but not quite. It feels as though what is going to happen is on the tip of your tongue but you just can't quite conjured the right words to describe it. This keeps you on the edge of your seat for the entire movie! People often have the misconception, much like I previously did, that old movies are boring. This though, is not at all the case. In fact, I would now argue that this is as far from the truth as you can get! 

The combination of the actors, the feels of the movie, the fantastic story, and the way it was filmed truly combine to make this movie one of the great classics! I have seen a lot of movies in my time and this is easily in the top five movies I have ever seen! It is a true classic and one of the best movie that has ever been made. I used to not understand why it was always ranked so high on lists but I was simply being childish. This movie deserves all the praise that it gets and more! If you enjoyed this article, please consider following the blog, or leaving me a comment letting me know what you think!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Have Fun with Any Car: A Quick Guide

Introduction Since I was young, I have always had a love for cars. While this site is mainly based on things that are vintage, I like both vintage and modern cars! However, when I got my drivers license, reality hit me as I realized that my first car was going to be a 2008 Honda CR-V. For those of you unfamiliar with the vehicle, a Honda CR-V is a medium-sized, soccer mom SUV that has about 160hp. However, I soon came to love the car and realized that you don't need a massive engine or a convertible to have fun with a car. So, while this in not a normal article for this blog, I am going to be talking about how to have fun in any car. I am going to be mostly talking from my own experience here and telling you how I realized that it really doesn't take $100,000 to have a fun experience with a car. So, let's get started firstly with why I chose to write this article! Why? I think that there are a lot of people that get too caught up with needing a sports car or a luxury car wi...

Top 5 Reasons to Buy a 1969 Corvette

Introduction: Widely regarded as one of the best looking Corvette models, the 1969 model is the second Corvette to be dubbed the Corvette "Stingray". They were designed in 1967 and produced from 1967 to 1982. They came after the original stingray model, the Corvette C2.  They had big engines, long flowing design lines, and a beautiful t-top roof! In this article, I am going to give you the top five reasons why you should buy one of these old Corvettes! #1: The Engine The first reason to buy this car is because it has a great engine! There were six model levels, but even the standard came with a 5.7L V8 that cranked out 300 all American horsepower. The highest model came with a 6.9L V8 that makes 430 horsepower, which for 1969 was an astonishing number. The noise that this engine makes is also quite astonishing. It creates enough power to give the driver a great driving experience while also blessing the drivers ears with the sound of a naturally aspirated American V8! The eng...

The Autobianchi A112

- Dear Reader, We have a new website! You can check it out by clicking here:  1969 Inc . Thank you for reading! - The Intro Welcome back to the 1969 car series! This is the second article in the series and it is about the Autobianchi A112, a car that is probably a little less popular than the previous car! However, that's not gonna stop us from writing about it! So, let's get into the article about the Autobianchi A112, a small Italian car that is perfect for any city environment!  The History  So, you're a fan of the old Minis? Well, let me tell you about something even better! In the late 60s, Autobianchi wanted a piece of the 'small car' pie. Autobianchi was owned by Fiat and saw how well Mini was doing, so they decided that they were going to make their own small car. At first, this is concerning because in most cases where one company follows another, the second company always creates a worse product as they are just trying to get in on the rush. However, this ...